Home Problems That May Cause Illness

Share:

A home is meant to be a sanctuary and a place of safety. Fortunately, that holds true for many of us. Others, however, are not so fortunate. The unfortunate truth is that sometimes the home itself can be a source of problems that can cause illness. So what sort of problems might you encounter?

Mold

According to ApartmentGuide, mold in its many different types can be found just about anywhere where moisture might be in the home but is most commonly found in kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. All mold needs is food, water, and oxygen to flourish in your home. This can be a real problem for anyone who lives in a mold-infested home. While some people are fortunate enough to not be affected by mold, others are more sensitive and can suffer some unpleasant effects. Respiratory problems, irritation, allergic reactions, and more serious asthma attacks can all be caused by exposure to mold spores.

Hazardous Gasses

Hazardous gases in the home can be incredibly dangerous. According to BTS Home Inspections, radon is the primary way non-smokers contract lung cancer in the U.S. With lung cancer being one of the most deadly types of cancer, the presence of radon is definitely something to take seriously. Carbon monoxide is another serious problem. It’s odorless and colorless, making it impossible to detect on your own. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly, thanks to its ability to bond more strongly with your red blood cells than oxygen. Because it’s so dangerous, it’s very important to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and to make sure that they are working properly regularly.

Lead

If you live in a newer home, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you won’t have to worry about lead paint. According to JSE Labs, homes that were built before 1978, on the other hand, are more likely to have lead paint in them. The older the home, the more likely it is. Children are especially vulnerable to being harmed by lead paint. It can lead to irreversible brain damage and can damage both the kidneys and nervous system in children and adults alike. If you have an older home, this is definitely something you should test for.

No one wants to live in a home that is making them sick. If you discover that your home has mold, hazardous gases, or lead in it, it’s important to take action sooner rather than later. These aren’t problems that just go away on their own. Make sure you call for professional help when dealing with any of these issues.

Read this next: 3 Things You Should Ask Yourself Before a DIY Project