This territory was first granted in 1735 to a company of soldiers returning from the war in Canada led by Captain Joseph Sylvester, and named Sylvester-Canada in his honor. When New Hampshire because a separate province, Governor Benning Wentworth reincorporated those towns with Canada in the name. Sylvester-Canada was granted to new settlers and incorporated in 1752 as Richmond, in honor of the governor's English friend, Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond, a staunch advocate of colonial independence. The settlers were unable to meet the terms of charter due to the Indian War, and the charter was renewed in 1760.
Population change for Richmond totaled 817 over 56 years, from 295 in 1960 to 1,112 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was an 80 percent increase between 1970 and 1980, followed by a 69 percent increase between 1980 and 1990. The 2016 Census estimate for Richmond was 1,112 residents, which ranked 178th among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns. This town has 29.6 persons per square mile of land area. (info from NHES website)