This territory was first granted by the Massachusetts government in 1736. The grantees were soldiers from Rowley, Massachusetts, returning from the war in Canada, and the settlement was known as Rowley-Canada. Following establishment of New Hampshire as a separate province, the Masonian Proprietors regranted the territory, and it was renamed Monadnock Number 1, or South Monadnock, in 1749. The town was incorporated as Rindge in 1768, in honor of Captain Daniel Rindge, one of the original grant holders who was related by marriage to Governor Benning Wentworth.
Population change for Rindge totaled 4,960 over 56 years, from 941 in 1960 to 5,901 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was an 131 percent increase between 1960 and 1970, coinciding with the establishment of Franklin Pierce College. The 2016 Census estimate for Rindge was 5,901 residents, which ranked 57th among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns. This town has 159.2 persons per square mile of land area. (info from NHES website)