This territory was first granted in 1752 to Colonel Sampson Stoddard of Chelmsford, Massachusetts, and others as Monadnock Number 7. It was known locally as Limerick before being incorporated as Stoddard in 1774, in honor of Colonel Stoddard. Colonel Stoddard was appointed to survey southwestern New Hampshire by the colonial government, receiving several land grants for the service. One of his surveying assistants was Benjamin Pierce, father of President Franklin Pierce. Between 1840 and 1873, Stoddard was a center of glass manufacturing, home to four glass factories whose products are prized by collectors today.
Stoddard had the tenth largest percent change totaling 740.4% over 56 years, from 146 in 1960 to 1,227 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was an increase of 99 percent between 1970 and 1980, a numeric change of 240. The 2016 Census estimate for Stoddard was 1,227 residents, which ranked 175th among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns.(info from NHES website)