This territory was chartered by the Massachusetts government in 1735 as Number 2, being second in the line of Connecticut River fort towns designed to protect the colonies from Indian attack. For a while, the settlement was known as Great Meadows. When New Hampshire became an independent province, Governor Benning Wentworth granted the town to Thomas Chamberlain and others as Westmoreland. The name was in honor of a relative of the Governor, John Fane, seventh Earl of Westmoreland. The meetinghouse in Westmoreland, built in 1762, has a steeple bell cast by the Paul Revere Foundry.
Population change for Westmoreland totaled 755 over 56 years, from 921 in 1960 to 1,676 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was an increase of 45 percent between 1970 and 1980, accounting for more than half the total numeric increase. The 2016 Census estimate for Westmoreland was 1,676 residents, which ranked 152nd among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns.(info from NHES website)