Though settled prior to the Revolution, this community was not incorporated as Antrim until 1777. It was originally part of the Society Land, or Cumberland, named for the Duke of Cumberland, who was King George II's son and commander of English troops in the war with France. This large tract of land adjacent to Mount Monadnock had been set aside by the Portsmouth Proprietors for private estates. The land was later purchased by Philip Riley, who named the town for County Antrim in Ireland, his native home. Nathaniel Hawthorne College was established in Antrim in 1962; the school closed in 1988.
Population change for Antrim totaled 1,536 over 56 years, from 1,121 in 1960 to 2,657 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was an 89 percent increase between 1960 and 1970; the other four decades in this period had population increases under ten percent. The 2016 Census estimate for Antrim was 2,657 residents, which ranked 115th among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns.This town has 74.5 persons per square mile of land area.(info from NHES website)