Acworth was first chartered in 1752 as Burnet, in honor of William Burnet, who was appointed Colonial Governor for the provinces of Massachusetts and New Hampshire in 1728 but died shortly thereafter. No settlements were made under this charter, and in 1766 the Masonian proprietors regranted the land to new settlers under the name Acworth, honoring Sir Jacob Acworth of the British Admiralty. Acworth's meetinghouse, built in 1821 and now the Congregational Church, is known for its federal-style architecture. Both the church and the Silsby Library are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Population change for totaled 516 over 56 years, from 371 in 1960 to 887 in 2016. The largest decennial percent change was a 32 percent increase between 1980 and 1990, which followed a 29 percent increase over the previous decade. The 2016 Census estimate for Acworth was 887 residents, which ranked 192nd among New Hampshire's incorporated cities and towns.There are 22.8 persons per square mile of land area. (info from NHES website)