Athens was chartered on May 3, 1780. Spelled Athans in its charter, the present spelling seems to have been adopted quite early. The town was organized and the first meeting held March 4, 1781. The only real village has always been known as Athens, and for a time (1827-1907) actually had a Post Office. The area in the southern part of the town is almost entirely uninhabited.