The Town of Brookline was originally located in parts of Putney, Athens, and Newfane. The first Settlements were made in 1777 along the valley of Grassy Brook. No political rights were granted until 1794 when the settlers organized and held their first Town Meeting in 1795. At that time, there were no churches or schools and meetings were held in private homes.
Between 1794 and 1824, lands were cleared, roads were laid out and businesses were started. During that time, three stores, two hotels, two blacksmith shops, three sawmills, two grist mills, one tannery and one ashery existed. One doctor and one counselor at law were in practice.
In 1819, part of Newfane lying on the eastern side of the West River was annexed to Brookline. In 1823 Brookline was granted a charter, and in 1824 the Town sent its first representative to the State Legislature. (Info from wikipedia)