One of the New Hampshire grants, it was chartered on June 19, 1753 by Governor Benning Wentworth, who named it Fane after John Fane, the 7th Earl of Westmoreland. But hostilities during the French and Indian War prevented its settlement. Because a first town meeting was not held within the required five years, the charter was deemed null and void. So Wentworth issued an entirely new charter on November 3, 1761 as New Fane. The town was settled in 1766 by families from Worcester County, Massachusetts. Newfane became the shire town of the county before 1812. Atop Newfane Hill, they built a village, including the county buildings. Because of winter travel difficulties, however, it was relocated to the flatland below in 1825, until 1882 called Fayetteville after the Marquis de Lafayette.
(Info from wikipedia)