On December 26, 1753 Colonel Josiah Willard led a proprietors' petition for a Putney charter to be established in the Equivalent Lands. The charter was issued that day by Governor Benning Wentworth – issuer of the New Hampshire Grants under the authority of King George II of England. Significant settlement of Putney did not begin until after the French and Indian War ended in 1760.
The town arose in a large plain on the west side of the Connecticut River, above the mouth of Sacketts Brook. A falls on the brook provided water power for early mills, and it is around that point that the main village was formed. Because the town did not have abundant sources of water power, it was largely bypassed by the Industrial Revolution of the mid-19th century, and remained largely rural in character. The village's character is defined by the Federal and Greek Revival styles popular during its most significant period of growth, the late 18th to mid-19th century. (Info from wikipedia)